Alexandria version in ASD file

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 02:40:44 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>> The ASD file for Alexandria mentions that is has version "0.0.0", which
>
> […] the versioning is not
> that trivial. Nikodemus has come up with a versioning scheme where the
> package is also called :alexandria.0.dev with an :alexandria nickname.
>
> i'm not sure what exactly was the plan, and whether it's written up
> somewhere, so i'll not jump into just overwriting the :version field
> in the .asd.
>
> is there anyone who remembers/knows?
>
> if not, then any suggestions what the next version should be in the
> .asd, and what to do with the package?

May I suggest that this package naming scheme is bullshit and that no
one uses it, nor is anyone susceptible of using it in the near or far
future?

Until someone comes up with actual usage patterns (or, better,
functions and macros) to use this kind of package versioning, it's
better to get rid of it.

However, getting rid of it is not something to do lightly, so what
about increasing the asdf version to 0.1.0, then 0.1.1 at next
"release", etc., and go to 0.2.0 whenever some less than "compatible"
API change is done, etc.

Whatever says the law, it is only ever forbidden but to get caught.