[alexandria-devel] More open development

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Sat Jan 26 17:24:33 UTC 2013

On 26 January 2013 18:47, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Nikodemus Siivola
> <nikodemus at random-state.net> wrote:
>> On 6 November 2012 07:26, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And/or I want another library in which utilities can be speedily updated.
>>
>> Speed of evolution is an explicit non-goal for Alexandria. Also,
>> please don't hijack threads.
>>
> Maybe alexandria needs more people with commit rights?

Possible. But it's also possible current ones would just start their
veto around obnoxiously:

"Alexandria's goal is to reduce duplication of effort and improve
portability of Common Lisp code according to its own idiosyncratic and
rather conservative aesthetic. What this actually means is open to
debate, but each project member has a veto on all project activities,
so a degree of conservativism is inevitable."

People with veto power are: Marco Baringer, Attila Lendvai, Nikodemus
Siivola, and Robert Strandh.

Note: it's a veto in the sense "please remove this thing completely
from Alexandria". It's the nuclear option.

I'm open to extending the circle of committers.

I'm open to adding more people with veto powers. (Stas comes to mind
as someone with strong opinions I would not mind calling bullshit on
me.)

I'm not open to curbing the veto powers of existing members.

> Or else, maybe we need a different reference library that will have
> a more open development style.

I suspect you're looking for something Alexandria isn't trying to be.

Alexandria is slow moving and conservative by design.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus