[alexandria-devel] COPY-FILE conflict.

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 13:38:59 UTC 2008

>> it appears that since June Alexandria exports COPY-FILE,
>> as well as a bunch of other file-related primitives.
>>
>> Is the resulting loss of simultaneous :use-ability of cl-fad and alexandria
>> being regarded as something undesirable by the project maintainers?

i have a lot of :shadowing-import-from in my projects due to such
clashes, so it i don't consider it unusual.

> I wouldn't mind seeing the stuff in io.lisp moving from Alexandria to
> CL-Fad. It'd keep Alexandria stay more focused.

i would, although i'm not completly against it.

my concerns are:

 - there's no public DVCS repo for cl-fad and therefore it's more
cumbersome to make changes to it.

 - the interface of the two versions of copy-stream represent
different approaches (&optional/&key; the impl in cl-fad depends on
sb-executable:copy-stream, which is arguably exported at all from
there).

 - imho, these utilities fall in the "often needed basic stuff"
category (<100 lines with comments)

but on the other hand, the copy-stream in alexandria wasn't tested on
too many lisps (at least by me)...

so, all in all, i'd prefer to keep io.lisp in alexandria, but it's
only one vote.

--
 attila