[admin] Spammage

Ingvar ingvar at hexapodia.net
Wed Sep 12 12:13:47 UTC 2007

Luke Gorrie writes:
> Hi guys!
>
> People have been mailing owner-slime-devel (me) to complain about spam
> and ask for mailing list options to be changed. I don't have any
> active involvement in Lisp development for some years now and don't
> even read these mailing lists anymore.
>
> Do you have any suggestion on how best to shamelessly offload
> responsibility onto someone else? :-)
>
> I can ask for a volunteer on #lisp but thought I'd check if you guys
> have a better idea, e.g. some way to make slime-devel automatically
> take on some default currently recommended / global cl.net options
> that someone would tweak.

>From a mailman perspective, the easiest is probably to set the list so taht
non-members need list-admin approval for mail (I believe there's an option to
let "known senders" through permanently), a setting available on the list
admin pages. This, of course, is with the expectation that most emails are
sent by list members (I don't know to what extent that is true).

Long-term, it is probably easier finding someone who's active in SLIME
development to take over the list administration and let them handle the
occasional spam.

//Ingvar