[admin] Project Creation Request: cl-semantic

brandon.werner at mac.com brandon.werner at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 23:12:05 UTC 2006

Dear Common-Lisp:

I would like to host a project on your site regarding writing a macro
collection for extracting and generating relationships between
information using semantic ontologies for the Semantic Web, which
will be tested using MIT's Piggy Bank extraction project, of which I
am a member. I am in the process of researching using Lisp to develop
macros for generating and processing semantic data, particularly the
processing of OWL & RDF vocabularies and establishing relationships
faster using functional programming to rapidly generate ontological
relationships. The exact idea is presented in a paper: “Building
Ontological Data From Lists For Semantic Processing”, which is being
readied for Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM
2006). It relies heavily on s-xml, cl-prevelance and cells.

This will be of general interest since it will allow anyone using RDF/
OWL to "annotate" their websites to use these macros to parse and
generate their ontological relationships faster. Parsing and creating
these relationships will be even more incredible given Lisp's ability
to manage large amounts of similar relationship atoms together in a
relationship that can persisted on the back end without any framework
code. So much research in the actual code implementation of OWL/RDF
parsing is locked in to Algol thinking, and I believe it could be
better represented, and give Lisp some good visibility, to try to
tackle this problem from the functional perspective and build small
light-weight parsing algorithms that can build on top of each other
to establish relationships instead of the brute-force parsing now
done in a top-down fashion using C++, C# and Java in the Simile
project at MIT.

Name: cl-semantic
Researchers: Brad McDonald, Brandon Werner, Mike Ramsey
Presentation in November 2006 of work: CIKM2006 conference
License: Apache 2.0 license

I also have other open source projects of high-visibility including
Fatima (JavaPress) which is hosted on Java.net A full list of the
work and research I've done and a link to my articles and
publications can be found on my website.

Thanks!

Brandon Werner
brandon.werner at mac.com
http://www.brandonwerner.com