[admin] Re: write access to web pages directory

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 16:35:38 UTC 2005

c-l.net admins, please check something out for me (see below):

Peter Denno wrote:

>I think you just need to login and change the ownership. The problem with the
>public_html directory is that the permissions are all 644. They should be 664
>if others in the cells-gtk group are to be able to modify the files.

Caveat: I am using WinSCP for this. When I select the public_html
directory and hit Properties, it pops up a nice, friendly dialog which
allows me to tweak this stuff. The protections now are 775 (I just added
X to the group)...But! It shows the group as Cells-gt, without the
trailing "k". So I bet I get access under the owner privilieges, but
that anyone in the cells-gtk group gets treated as an outsider....Oops.
That might just be a WinSCP bug (not showing the "k"). When I go for the
pop-up on group it shows Cells-gtk, not cells-gt. But then why was Peter
seeing 644?

But by Unix skills are non-existent, and I am rapidly getting over my
head. Can the c-l.net admins confirm this is the problem and suggest how
to proceed? Including...

>That would work. If you don't think you will be doing much with cells-gtk,
>allowing the sysadmin to change the ownership to pdenno wouldn't be a bad
>idea.
>
>cd /project/cells-gtk/public_html; chown -R pdenno .

"changing ownership not permitted" <g>

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd