[admin] project cl-libtai request

Mario S. Mommer mmommer at common-lisp.net
Fri Dec 16 07:46:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

"Lester Vecsey" <lvecsey at nyc.rr.com> writes:
> This is a request to open a project called cl-libtai.
>
> Name: Lester Vecsey
> Atomique International, time.
> License: LGPL
> Group members: None
>
> This project would have many of the functions from the public domain C
> library libtai, at http://cr.yp.to/libtai.html
>
> The real benefit here is the way that Lisp can easily handle large
> decimal and hexadecimal numbers, likely making this code rather
> compact when implemented. libtai usually packs time into an 8 or
> 16character hexadecimal sequence, so when checking output from other
> utilities and needing to convert or check a tai time these functions
> would make it real easy to do so from the REPL.
>
> License would be LGPL to start with, and I do see from your FAQ there
> are concerns with that. In the future switching it to GPLv3 or LLGPL
> might be a good option worth considering. I'd be developing under
> CLISP, perhaps others will chime in with testing on other platforms
> and provide patches.

Sounds nice.

I need you PGP key, preferably in ascii armored format.

We have no problem with any of the open source licences. Only the
experience to share that the more restrictive licences like GPL do not
have a high regard in the larger community, meaning that if your code
is GPL for example, there is a larguish number of lispers that is
unlikely to ever use it. For many, and for the reasons explained in
the FAQ, LGPL is too restrictive already.

Regards,
        Mario.