[admin] running stuff on the cl.net machine

Erik Enge erik at nittin.net
Sun May 2 17:41:47 UTC 2004

On May 2, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Marco Baringer wrote:

> 1) i have a script which builds up daily tarballs of ucw, currently
>    this runs on my laptop everynight a midnight. i'd be a lot more
>    realiable (i'm not always connected) if it ran directly on the
>    cl.net machine. would there be any problems with running this as a
>    cron job? the overhead would be minimal (copy, tar then bzip about
>    3 MB of text files).

Not really a problem but I'm hesitant to say yes incase we all of a
sudden
have 50 or so cronjobs (one per project) running.  That would bog down
the
server.

What do you guys think?

Rsync is now running on clnet, would that help you in any way?

> 2) i'd like to, eventually, run an instance of ucw so that people
>    could play with it without having to install it. this would
>    probably be easiest if it ran behind it's own copy of apache with
>    mod_lisp installed. however, this could, potentially, use up a good
>    bit of cpu (ucw isn't exactly optimized yet).

I'm pretty happy to do this (we were going to try to use clhp too but
the
author never replied when I ran into some installation problems).  I'll
need
a detalied step by step guide on how to install it.

Erik.