[admin] Lisp Education CD as ISO project

Heow Eide-Goodman heow at alphageeksinc.com
Fri Jan 30 16:04:33 UTC 2004

Nikodemus, Erik, and Mario,

Everyone brought up a good point regarding the legalities of the
distribution, I'll actually refer this to my legal guy but I don't see
this as a problem.

For instance, if someone copied the ISO and put it on Common-Lisp.net,
that would clearly be a violation.  However, this is a living breathing
project that is currently well over a year old now.  We have many plans
and directons to take the CD which means that it's not something I'm
going to drop it on your site then forget about.  I'll be needing to
update the documentation, web-page and ISO image anywhere between a
bi-weekly to monthly basis.  I'd also like to count the downloads and
keep in touch with users via mailing lists etc.

With that much artistic control at my disposal, the relationship between
myself/LispNYC and Common-Lisp.net becomes one of collaberation and
resource sharing rather than Common-Lisp.net simply 'distributing' it.

I've attached the CD license for your pleasure, if there is anything
that concerns you about it I'd be happy to modify it.  ...for instance I
can think of adding Common-Lisp.net (or a similiar clause) falling under
the umbrella of liability.

FYI, although the license sounds like it expects the world to end, it is
a standard format for things like compliations.  Also the CD is based on
the STABLE version of Knoppix.  Interesting enough, both Nils Magnus and
Klaus Knopper attended LinuxWorld AND the MuSIG group of LispNYC (yes,
they are Lisp fans and musicians) where we talked shop, swapped pointers
and doused my fears of a live CD actually breaking hardware.

Thanks,

- Heow