[admin] Lisp Education CD as ISO project

Nikodemus Siivola tsiivola at cc.hut.fi
Fri Jan 30 07:55:34 UTC 2004

> LispNYC.org has created a free self-booting Lisp Education CD which

This sounds way cool!

> Anyway, the problem is that LispNYC is running on DSL and cannot host an
> ISO, which is why I'd like to include it on common-lisp.net.  We expect
> anywhere between 2 and 10 downloads per week (currently a steady 3
> requests per week) and I'd also be setting up a mailing list etc.
>
> But due to the fact that there exists within the CD:
>
>   * copyrighted software (Allegro CL and LispWorks)
>   * copyrighted work (Successful Lisp, OnLisp)
>
> and the fact that various authors specifically request that:
>
>   * they retain copyright to their work
>   * it not enter the 'public domain'
>   * the CD remain free of charge
>
> ...the license is unique in that the CD expressively remains free (as in
> without cost) yet not fall into the public domain or under a different
> license.  This of course dose not preclude some of the seperate works
> falling under a more lenient license.

I see. Mailing list(s) should be no problem, but I'm a bit unclear on
what else you would like to have?

> Thus only LispNYC.org, the ALU and myself can legally distribute it.

Would what about ftp://ftp.common-lisp.net/pub/.../lispnyc-cd/? Would
that count as LispNYC distributing it?

If so, *I* think (remains to see how others perceive this) that we could
set you up for FTP and mailing lists despite the license.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus Siivola

PS. As an administrative aside, I still think we should have ftp look
something like this:

 pub/

     projects/... as is

     extra/...    Wierd special cases like the LispNYC CD that aren't
                  projects, but still need FTP upload.

     cclan/...    We should become a CCLAN node.

     cclan-incoming/...

                  Public uploads for CCLAN stuff, gets pushed to cclan/ if
                  signatures match the previous package (or maybe a list
                  of authorized sigs for that package).

 -ns