[admin] Lisp Education CD as ISO project

Heow Eide-Goodman heow at alphageeksinc.com
Fri Jan 30 01:18:20 UTC 2004

Hi there,

LispNYC.org has created a free self-booting Lisp Education CD which
contains:

  * 3 complete Lisp Deveopment Systems
  * 3 full length books
  * numbers of tutorials, references, etc.

...all in a single integrated environment.  It debuted at Linux World
Expo with almost 100 CDs given out to interested individuals. Someone
enjoyed it so much, they came back the next day to give LispNYC.org a
$20 donation!

Anyway, the problem is that LispNYC is running on DSL and cannot host an
ISO, which is why I'd like to include it on common-lisp.net.  We expect
anywhere between 2 and 10 downloads per week (currently a steady 3
requests per week) and I'd also be setting up a mailing list etc.

But due to the fact that there exists within the CD:

  * copyrighted software (Allegro CL and LispWorks)
  * copyrighted work (Successful Lisp, OnLisp)

and the fact that various authors specifically request that:

  * they retain copyright to their work
  * it not enter the 'public domain'
  * the CD remain free of charge

...the license is unique in that the CD expressively remains free (as in
without cost) yet not fall into the public domain or under a different
license.  This of course dose not preclude some of the seperate works
falling under a more lenient license.

Thus only LispNYC.org, the ALU and myself can legally distribute it.
We, of course, have explicit permission from every author to distribute
the content found on the CD, which was no small task.  :-)

Thanks,

- Heow