[admin] Request for hosting of IRC project

Mario Mommer mommer at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Nov 3 14:56:19 UTC 2003

Erik Enge <eenge at prium.net> writes:
> Mario Mommer <mommer at igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
> > Yes, I approve too, although I would sugest to choose a different
> > name, simply because 'irc' is already the name of Internet Relay
> > Chat. How obout clirc or something like that?
>
> I agree with that sentiment when we are dealing with trademarked names
> but I don't think there would be any reason to do this in this instance.
> Would you also name an SMTP library clsmtp, or an http library clhttp?

I don't think I would name it SMTP, though, simply because it is not
SMTP. Like you don't call a garage a car, or a stream a file. It would
also be silly to call gtk bindings gtk, or to call CLX just X. Do you
think 'UNIX' is a good name for a CL interface to UNIX?

> I'd prefer it to be 'irc' but if there are more people agreeing with
> Mommer then I'm probably missing something and would be ok with a name
> change.

Hey, it was mostly a sugestion / observation. I don't think you'll
have trouble with this, but IMO it is not a good name.

Regards,
        Mario.