[admin] mailing lists for mod_lisp, cl-pdf and cl-typesetting]

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Wed Dec 10 16:31:39 UTC 2003

From: "Nikodemus Siivola" <nikodemus at random-state.net> writes:

> Oops. Accidentally sent this just to the admin-list.

I noticed it was a mailing list only at the third email...

> > But I could at least add a project page if you want.
>
> Nah. I don't see much point in putting up a project page when the
> project is elsewhere.

OK, tell me when you have reached a consensus on the subject ;-)

> > I've seen this but it's what I have done with mod_lisp and cl-pdf and
the
> > users/contributors ratio is a fairly good approximation of 0. :(
>
> Er. I see the tarballs, yes. But no CVS (or other) repositories. The
> difference is really a big one.
>
> People who are likely to help want the bleeding edge: if it's broken
> they can try to fix it. If it works fine (like releases tend to)
> they'll just use it -- and don't touch the source until there's
> something they want from it.

What I am looking for is not really fixer but contributors.

> Also, it's nice to know that what you have is a good approximation of
> what the author has.
>
> > Releasing software takes time, you get lots of emails asking for
support,
> > etc... And time is the resource I'm missing the most! So I prefer to
work on
> > cl-typesetting to release it only when it's usable by an average user.
> > So it's not that I'm against releasing it it's just that I don't think
the
> > advantages would be so great.
>
> The point is that anonCVS / whatever is not the same as a release.
>
> People who tracks CVS don't generally expect the same level of support
> as people who use released. And when they do, they should be told that
> things don't work like that. ;-)
>
> Tarball = for users
> Repository = for developers

Good point.
BTW I've never given CVS access to others. Is there a mechanism to
accept/reject the changes.

> > BTW I'm ok to discuss this on a suitable place if c.l.l is not the good
one.
> > (or by email)
>
> Clump might be a fertile place to get people's views on this
> release/devel-access dichtomy. Better signal to noise ratio.

Ok I will probably put the debate there...

I agree that in c.l.l  the signal is almost lost in the noise.
Where are the lispniks who write code instead of just talking ?
I also posted to lispweb but it's almost empty.

Marc