[Able-devel] ABLE does not compile out of the box

Eduardo Costa edu500ac at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 17:20:39 UTC 2011

Windows, ltk-0.96.  BTW, I teaching Common LISP for engineers, and using ABLE/SBCL.  However, since ABLE does not compile out of the box, I am distributing binaries to the my students. It would be nice if you people could fix the compilation problems that I describe below.

1 -- able-0.21, SBCL 1.0.52, ltk-0.96, cl-fad-0.6.4,
       trivial-gray-streams-2008-11-02
2 -- I tried to compile and load the programs:

* (require 'asdf)

("ASDF")
* (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :able)
debugger invoked on a ASDF:COMPILE-ERROR:
  Error while invoking #<COMPILE-OP NIL {24D9CEB9}> on
  #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "able" "utils">
3 -- I substituted sb-introspect:function-lambda-list
      for all instances of sb-introspect:function-lambda-list
I also corrected the obvious error (format nil "1.0" temp)

4 -- I repeated step  2.
* (require 'asdf)

("ASDF")

* (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :able)

Compilation was uneventful, but I got a runtime error ----

Invalid intialization arguments:

:PADY, :PADX, :CONTAINER
In main.lisp, I replaced
(setf *editor-frame* (make-instance 'ltk:frame))
for
(setf *editor-frame* (make-instance 'ltk:frame :container nil :padx 1 :pady 1))

I compiled the editor once more:

* (require 'asdf)

("ASDF")

* (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :able)

Again, the compilation was uneventful, but...

Invalid initialization arguments
  :PADY, :PADX

I substituted
(setf *listener* (make-instance 'listener ))
for
(setf *listener* (make-instance 'listener :padx 1 :pady 1))

This time the error was
Tcl/Tk error: unknown option "-background"

I commented one line at the end of the controls.lisp file:

(defmethod initialize-instance :after ((sb statusbar) &key)
  (setf (label sb) (make-instance 'ltk:label :master sb :font *buffer-font*))
   ; (ltk:configure sb :background *highlight-background*)
  (ltk:configure (label sb)
    :background *highlight-background*
    :foreground *highlight-text*)
  (ltk:pack (label sb) :side :left :pady 1 :padx 5 :fill :both))

Now, ABLE works perfectly well. My suggestion is that you modify the sources, so that the user get an uneventful compilation. In the mean time, I would like to know whether I can post my modified sources in my son's website, so my students will have a working copy of ABLE. Of course, I will remove it from my site as soon as the official distribution is fixed.