[xcvb-devel] Requirement for SB-SPROF

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:05:28 UTC 2009

2009/10/12 Samium Gromoff <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>:

> Good day folks,
>
> Is the requirement for SB-SPROF being absolute?
>
> I just happened to hit its unavailability in my manually built linux/x86-64
> SBCL, which, while certainly being oddball, can happen and is a small obstacle
> on the way.

Dear Samium,

while I would certainly recommend that you should build the very
useful sb-sprof into your sbcl, it is very possible to disable the use
of sb-sprof in XCVB, that is only useful to XCVB developers anyway
(i.e. me). Happily for you, references to sb-sprof are restricted to
1- xcvb.asd, and 2- profiling.lisp.

You can just comment out the references to sb-sprof in xcvb.asd and
profiling.lisp, and making sure the code there that is currently
#+sbcl be disabled instead (e.g. in #| ... |#) and
the code that is currently #-sbcl be always enabled (e.g. #| #-sbcl
|#). Don't forget to also comment out the (:when (:featurep :sbcl)
(:require :sb-sprof)).

If you know a good test of whether the sb-sprof feature is available,
I'm interested.

Hope this helps,

There is no such thing as a "necessary evil". If it's necessary, then
it cannot be evil, neither can it be good: it's a datum.