[xcvb-devel] Next on the TODO list: multiple BUILDs, search paths, etc.

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 03:28:52 UTC 2008

2008/12/25 Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com>:
>> May I suggest having a xcvb:*find-modules* var (or similar) that contains a
>> list of these functions (or
>> symbols to these functions perhaps) so that instead of just adding new
>> pathnames, we can add
>> functions to find lists of these pathnames. They could optionally accept a
>> module name in case the searching module can use the information to narrow
>> the search better.
>
> +1 from here, modulo details, naming, etc.
>
> i've never liked the static *system-registry* with the manual
> symlinking on the filesystem. using a directory scanner yields a much
> pleasing user experience for me. so, please make the functional way
> the default or the first in the docs to advertise it for the
> newcomers...

OK for directory scanning, though I'm not sure whether to make it
eager scanning (might take a longer time, but allows arbitrary mapping
from module name to filesystem path) or lazy scanning (faster, but
assumes a trivial mapping from module to filesystem path).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the functional way". Can you elaborate?
Even produce a mock API?

(I'm currently reading AITR-874 and trying to complete the redesign of
the internals.)

Documentation is worth it just to be able to answer all your mail with 'RTFM'.
        -- Alan Cox