[xcvb-devel] Next on the TODO list: multiple BUILDs, search paths, etc.

Geo Carncross geocar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 12:37:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> ASDF has its infamous *central-registry*. gcc has /usr/include and
> various -I flags. then there is PERL5PATH, PYTHONPATH, etc.

Hi Fare,

My current thoughts: XCVB at startup initializes a path from each of
> the following, in order, that may either modify or replace the former:
> 1- builtin default, say /usr/share/common-lisp/source/
> 2- environment variable, say XCVB_PATH, : delimited, some magic entry
> ! means splice the former value
> 3- command-line argument, say --path, same behavior as above
> 4- lisp configuration, say xcvb:*search-path*, a list of pathnames.

This seems like it covers everything, but I find I lump more loading stuff
in
deployed systems into the setup/startup script - and setting XCVB_PATH there
just seems messy.

May I suggest having a xcvb:*find-modules* var (or similar) that contains a
list of these functions (or
symbols to these functions perhaps) so that instead of just adding new
pathnames, we can add
functions to find lists of these pathnames. They could optionally accept a
module name in case the searching module can use the information to narrow
the search better.

An extension of this could also open the possibility of network paths for
finding new modules.