[vial-devel] Re: vial, ncurses-cffi

Brad Beveridge brad.beveridge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 22:50:00 UTC 2006

On 22/10/06, Alessandro Piras <laynor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I managed to make it compile, and it seems it was a system definition
> problem.
>  I attach here the fixed file, the fixes are documented through comments,
> just search for FIX and MOVED :)
>
> Now I have another problem. when i run vial
> (with (vial:vial)),
> the editor opens, but when i try to write something it
> prints out (lots of) garbage, that seems something like the
> interpreter's output. Example garbage is shown in the other attached file,
> garbage.txt
> Let me know if it's somewhat "forbidden" to send attachments here, and how
> to send (supposed to be) fixes and patches :)

Ah.  The output is debugging that goes to out *standard-output*.  I
have developed Vial using Slime and Emacs as a debugger.  Slime
rebinds the standard output and error streams, so for me that output
appears in Slime.  I would suggest that for right now developing by
using Slime as a REPL and debugger is probably a good idea.
Otherwise, you can rebind those streams (to NIL?) so that they don't
output to the screen.

Also, I appear to have a bug - the very first time that Vial runs the
screen doesn't refresh until a key is pressed.  I haven't figured out
why that is yet :)

Thanks for the updated vial.asd - I'm also a noob with ASDF, so for
right now I'm not worried about doing it "right", just that it works.

I don't mind patches and files being sent here as attachments, but I
would prefer that patches are created with darcs and are attached with
a commit comment.  I've not used darcs over email that much, but it
should work pretty well.

Also, if you wouldn't mind posting at the bottom when you reply I
would appreciate it :)

Cheers
Brad