Unix domain (IPC) sockets implementation

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Thu Aug 18 09:24:58 UTC 2016

> Hey,
>
> Chun Tian (binghe) writes:
>
> > Hi Marcin,
> >
> > The main problem is that, no user is asking for this feature and
> > really rare users need it.  (P. S. CLX or CLIM could have such needs,
> > because X11 can be communicated through Unix domain sockets)
>
> Yes, and potential Wayland protocol implementation. I think that the
> main benefit of implementing Unix domain sockets in usocket is to have a
> complete socket interface in Common Lisp (ie to not depend on system
> libraries like libfixposix, what is a case with iolib).

In order to do that, you'll need to use the SCM_RIGHTS and SCM_CREDENTIALS
ancillary messages. To access those, you'll need the equivalent of the CMSG_* macros,
which are OS/libc dependent. With some gcc -E manual work you should be able to translate
those to Lisp, but you need to do it for every ABI you plan to support.
See unix(7) and cmsg(3).

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix