Lispworks Windows UDP behaviour

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Wed May 27 18:09:53 UTC 2015

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much!  Now I understand the issue, and I think your patch is correct.  The function RECEIVE-MESSAGE was directly from my early work (the LispWorks-UDP [1] package), in which there’s no WAIT-FOR-INPUT yet, and raw socket fd is the user-level socket object.  If RECEIVE-MESSAGE starts to touch the other slots in the usocket object, we should move all its code back to the SOCKET-RECEIVE method.

Any way, I have committed a fix with your idea to latest Github master [2], but when I ran your test code, I get following results in both Windows and Mac:

0s 0 Waiting state NIL
5s 1 Waiting state NIL
10s 2 Waiting state NIL
15s 3 Waiting state NIL

I think that’s because WAIT-FOR-INPUT always returns NIL (nothing can be read from the UDP server socket), therefore your other code (using SOCKET-RECEIVE and SOCKET-SEND) never get a chance to be called…  do you think this is reasonable?

Regards,

Chun

[1] https://common-lisp.net/project/cl-net-snmp/lispworks.html
[2] https://github.com/usocket/usocket/commit/8763542e354af85989678188898af57e50fc0fbb