[Usocket-devel] [usocket] error with usocket datagram socket sending userial buffers on SBCL 1.2.1 Windows 8 (#1)

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:00:30 UTC 2015

Hi Ezra,

I don’t understand this part in your test code:

(usocket:socket-send socket
				   (userial:make-buffer)
				   32768
				   :host remote-host
				   :port remote-port)

What’s done by (userial:make-buffer) is a empty buffer, but you send its contents as a message length of 32768.  USOCKET passed the created array directly to underlying SB-BSD-SOCKETS:SOCKET-SEND in this case, but I think SBCL actually didn’t allocate any memory, so there’s a memory access issue when it trys to find the 32768 elements.

Here is the definition of USERIAL:MAKE-BUFFER:

(defun make-buffer (&optional (initial-capacity +default-buffer-capacity+))
  "Create an empty BUFFER of a given INITIAL-CAPACITY"
  (declare (type bufsize initial-capacity)
           (optimize (speed 3)))
  (make-array (list initial-capacity)
              :element-type 'uchar
              :initial-element 0
              :fill-pointer 0
              :adjustable t))

I think SBCL has its reason to optimize above calls by not allocating any memory until you start to push the first element in.  Maybe SBCL only does it when seeing (optimize (speed 3)), I don’t know...

Any way, I can’t say this is either an issue of USERIAL, USOCKET or SBCL, because each of them didn’t do anything unreasonable here…

Hope this helps,

Chun