[usocket-devel] Re: IPv6 support in usocket

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 10:25:23 UTC 2013

Hi Tomas

I think it's not quite polite to directly emulate another package's interface (and creating other package's Lisp package), so you shouldn't expect after loading IOlib.usocket, you got a package "usocket" with all functionalities of usocket in it. However, with a slightly changed Lisp package name, the whole idea is possible, just like what CFFI tries to emulate UFFI  by using a separated system "cffi-uffi.asd".  Any way, this is something not cared by me, because I'm not the maintainer of IOlib.

What I cared is to make exist usocket users and applications live better without making any explicit code changes into their own code base. By using IOlib as a backend, usocket's WAIT-FOR-INPUT function now can directly use IOlib's strong I/O multiplexing facility and exceed the 512 fd limitation when using select().  I also care those platforms in which CFFI and IOlib is not available, so a plain usocket implementation is still needed.