[usocket-devel] socket-connect and hostnames resolved to multiple addresses

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:41:20 UTC 2011

Hi Chun, Alexey,

2011/3/17 Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com>:
> Hi, Alexey
>
> Good question.  I think your problem can be divided into two sub-problems: 1) how to get multiple addresses (when possible) behind a single hostname, 2) how to do SOCKET-CONNECT with the logic (try all one by one until connection is succeed).

Now that USOCKET has UDP sockets and this question comes up, it's
probably time for me to explain how I envisioned the future of
USOCKET.

In my mind, early on with USOCKET when I didn't know it was feasible
to create UDP support on all platforms, I envisioned a USOCKET library
(which looked very much like what we have now) and a UUDP library. The
latter would implement the name resolution routines (a small DNS
client) missing in so many platforms, much like Allegro implements
one.

The above is also the reason I never exported the name resolution
routines from USOCKET and implemented USOCKET to take all forms of
IPv4 addresses known at that time.

Hope that adds to the discussion.

Bye,

Erik.