[usocket-devel] Status of UDP on Windows?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:52:55 UTC 2010

Hi Elliott,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Elliott Slaughter
<elliottslaughter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/3/21 Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> On Windows, there's no "select()" UNIX system call, so we have to use
>>> "WSAEventSelect" instead.
>
> What about this?
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740141(VS.85).aspx
> Looks rather like unix's select to me...

Yup. It's really misleading, but the documentation talks about
*sockets* not filehandles. It does that on purpose: the function
doesn't apply to other handles than socket handles; not async pipes or
files, only sockets. In that respect it's a lot different from unix
select().

> That said, sbcl/win32 doesn't have sb-unix, so it may not be possible to
> call this function without some custom FFI hacking, but it shouldn't be too
> bad.

Hope that explains it.

Bye,

Erik.