[usocket-devel] Status of UDP on Windows?

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:51:02 UTC 2010

2010/3/21 Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com>

> Hi, Elliott
>
> I'm very sorry for that. Currently I'm trapping in other work and couldn't
> finish the promised UDP porting work immediately. My SNMP library also want
> to work on SBCL/win32, but ...
>
> From my view, the biggest issue for this work, is the implementation of
> WAIT-FOR-INPUT-INTERNAL for UDP usockets. On Windows, there's no "select()"
> UNIX system call, so we have to use "WSAEventSelect" instead. I have no idea
> if SBCL/win32 have correspond internal functions which could be called
> directly by usocket.

Oh, I didn't realize that UDP sockets were working at all on sbcl/win32.
Even without wait-for-input, my application can achieve at least a minimal
level of functionality (better than nothing).

Since there seems to be no select-like functionality built into sbcl/win32,
is the right approach to call WSAEventSelect with sb-alien? (I assume that
cffi is to avoided.) I can try to work on this is the next couple of days if
this is the right way to go.

Thanks.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay