[usocket-devel] Determining the local host address from wildcard host

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 19:36:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:02 AM, james anderson <james.anderson at setf.de>wrote:

> good evening;
>
> i asked chun tian about this some while ago and he didn't think it was
> necessary as the 0.0.0.0 address suffices for most purposes.

Yes, for listening for messages, the 0.0.0.0 is quite sufficient.

What I am actually trying to do is to search for other nodes on the local
network which are also running my application. My idea was to construct one
or more broadcast addresses, send UDP packets to each of them, and listen
for responses. This may not be the best way to go about this (and
suggestions would be appreciated), but if I choose this route, I would want
to know the IP address of each of the interfaces together with its subnet
mask.

On 2010-03-07, at 07:20 , Elliott Slaughter wrote:

> if you really need this, you might look at the implementation for
> %get-ip-interfaces in clozure.
> it uses getifaddrs in a fairly transparent manner, so, if you're
> unix-based, you should be ok with it.

I need this to work on Windows and *nix, which is why I can't use IOlib or
other Unix-based solutions. That said, Clozure does run on Windows, so
hopefully the code you mentioned has already been ported.

I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the local host address (or

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay