[usocket-devel] Rebranching 0.4.x branch && road to 0.4.x release

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:42:35 UTC 2008

On 7/31/08, Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Erik
>
> > Over the last month(s), many commits have happened on trunk/ which
> > should also be in 0.4.x. On inspection, out of 30 or 40 commits, only
> > 4 should *not* be on 0.4.x. (The UDP socket changes.) With r405,
> > basically everything I want to have in 0.4.x is now on trunk/. (Except
> > - ofcourse - the SCL changes Douglas is looking into, but that can
> > come later too.)
> >

> Nice job, and it's my long wait for the 0.4.x release.

Thank ;-)

> I agree to remove UDP-related code from 0.4 branch, and once you start the
> release (and the API get stable), I can still change my UDP-patch, i.e. the
> usocket-udp package depends on 0.4.x release.

This morning, I reviewed the exported symbols and determined that
there are no udp exported symbols other than DATAGRAM-SOCKET.  This
means that I'm allowed to do everything (by my versioning rules) but
change the name and type of that symbol. I guess that this is enough
not to ververse the udp stuff on the branch, however, development of
the udp stuff will only be done on trunk, not on the branch.

Don't worry about datagram sockets, though: I'll be adding the
functionality in usocket in due time. Don't forget WAIT-FOR-INPUT has
been in development for over a year too. (Yes, I know you provided
patches for some udp sockets operations, however, the external usocket
API needs to be researched some more).

> > For efficiency, I have decided to rebranch the 0.4.x branch and
> > afterwards undoing the UDP socket changes on that branch. When that's
> > done - at the end of this week - all that needs to happen for 0.4.x is
> > testing. So, anybody who's interested in a release with WAIT-FOR-INPUT
> > and :local-host binding for SOCKET-CONNECT, please provide your
> > feedback starting Monday August 4th: we need to asses the quality of
> > the code currently up for release on the branch!
> >

> I'll look your subversion change.

It's there already!

Bye,

Erik.