[usocket-devel] What's the usage of USOCKET::GET-HOST-NAME in lispworks.lisp?

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 17:40:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:45 AM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> On 2/1/08, Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw these definitions in lispworks.lisp:
>>

>> #+win32
>> (fli:register-module "ws2_32")
>>
>> (fli:define-foreign-function (get-host-name-internal
>> "gethostname" :source)
>>      ((return-string (:reference-return (:ef-mb-string :limit 257)))
>>       (namelen :int))
>>      :lambda-list (&aux (namelen 256) return-string)
>>      :result-type :int
>>      #+win32 :module
>>      #+win32 "ws2_32")
>>
>> (defun get-host-name ()
>>  (multiple-value-bind (retcode name)
>>      (get-host-name-internal)
>>    (when (= 0 retcode)
>>      name)))
>>
>> What's the usage of GET-HOST-NAME? Can we use CL:MACHINE-INSTANCE
>> instead? I think they have the same effect.
>
> GET-HOST-NAME was added for cl-smtp, which depends on it. Is
> "machine-instance" documented to return the hostname of the current
> machine?

I think it is. Yesterday I ask LispWorks Support about a FLI-function
(system::gethostname) and got this answer from Martin Simmons:

	You should certainly never call internal functions in the SYSTEM
package!

	Can you use CL:MACHINE-INSTANCE?  This returns the hostname on Mac/
Linux and
	what Microsoft call the "NETBIOS name" on Windows.

	Regards,

	Martin Simmons
	LispWorks Technical Support
	http://www.lispworks.com/support/