[usocket-devel] Timeouts in usocket?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:23:33 UTC 2008

On 3/28/08, Hans Hübner <hans at huebner.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any concrete plans to support timeouts in usocket?  CL
> implementations begin to provide both relative timeouts or absolute
> deadlines in their low level socket implementations, and it would be
> nice to be able to use them without having to resort to hacking
> usocket in application specific ways.

Absolutely. (Sorry btw for the long time it took me to respond!)

If it's possible to implement a time-out to calls which currently
don't, that would be great! Please note that you can model
read-timeouts through the WITH-INPUT-AVAILABLE macro.  It would be
even nicer to be able to extend that macro with support for
SOCKET-CONNECT and possibly other operations (such as write-waiting?).

>  In particular, SOCKET-CONNECT needs a timeout argument.

Yes, it does.

> If there are no current plans, I'll add timeouts to my list and add them.

Well, if you could do the research (ie: tell me for the most relevant
CL implementations what the APIs are), I'll gladly implement the
timeouts.

Hope that answers your question.

Bye,

Erik.