[usocket-devel] socket volunteerism

Erik Huelsmann e.huelsmann at gmx.net
Wed Oct 18 09:48:20 UTC 2006

> Hey, I am interested in helping make usocket get developed. Is there
> anyway I can help?

Yes.

If you want to start out 'simple', you could take on the task I'm describing below. For bigger things, we can discuss what you'd rather do.

The author of trivial-sockets has declared that he will regard usocket as a full replacement/successor iff we provide a no-pain upgrade path. Now, ofcourse I would like usocket to gain the position of full successor to trivial-sockets, even having the author state so (deprecating his own package).

To do this, we need to provide the same interface as trivial-sockets does. I thought we can do that this way:

- add a trivial-usocket.asd
- have that create a trivial-usockets package
- create a trivial-usocket.lisp
- which implements the trivial-sockets interface
- making use of the usocket package instead of the trivial-sockets
  implementation.

Whenever possible, we should provide a superset of the features provided by trivial-sockets (ie if an implementation supports :external-format, we should too).

It would be a good start to find out which parts of the trivial-sockets behaviours we can implement in the current state of the library and which part we can't. Those would need development focus ASAP.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

If you're looking for other tasks/issues to do, you could have a look at http://trac.common-lisp.net/usocket/report/1 for things I marked TODO.

Thanks for the offer!

bye,

Erik.