[usocket-devel] Support for external-format, element-type

Erik Huelsmann e.huelsmann at gmx.net
Mon Oct 16 19:36:16 UTC 2006

> Hello list,
>
> I'm considering switching from trivial-sockets to usocket, seeing that the
> former is completely unmaintained. But, while the open-stream function
> does
> accept :external-format and :element-type arguments, it just raises an
> 'unsupported' condition when they are passed. It would be rather trivial
> support these parameters in SBCL, but that would mean changing the
> open-stream function itself, either make it throw those errors depending
> on
> the platform (ugly), or move the error throwing into the platform-specific
> functions. I guess the latter is preferrable, and I'm willing to write the
> patch for that, but I'd like to hear if you people agree with this.

I've been using flexi streams in cl-irc to provide cross platform consistent :external-format for the library. Would it be an idea to do the same with usocket?

I know it doesn't work well with Allegro Common Lisp, but if we provide the patch, the author will probably fix flexi streams...

bye,

Erik.
--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl