[usocket-announce] [ANNOUNCE] usocket 0.6.0

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:59:17 UTC 2012

Dear Lispers,

We're glad to announce the USOCKET 0.6.0 release.

Changes in this release:

* New feature: SOCKET-OPTION and (setf SOCKET-OPTION) for seting and geting various socket options.
* New feature: SOCKET-SEND now support an CCL-like OFFSET keyword for sending only parts of the whole buffer.
* New feature: [ECL] Added support for ECL DFFI mode on Windows. (no need for C compilers now)
* Bugfix: [ECL] ECL now list sb-bsd-sockets as a dependency but relies on REQUIRE. (patched by Juanjo)
* Bugfix: [ABCL] Make USOCKET compile warning-free on ABCL again: MAKE-IMMEDIATE-OBJECT was deprecated a while ago in favor of 2 predefined constants.
* Bugfix: [LispWorks] remove redundant call to hcl:flag-special-free-action. (reported by Kamil Shakirov)
* Bugfix: [CLISP] improved HANDLE-CONDITION for more CLISP environments.

For the new API, SOCKET-OPTION, initially we support following options:

* RECEIVE-TIMEOUT (SO_RCVTIMEO)
* REUSE-ADDRESS (SO_REUSEADDR), for TCP server
* BROADCAST (SO_BROADCAST), for UDP client

For usage of SOCKET-OPTION and (SETF SOCKET-OPTION), please directly take a look at "option.lisp" from USOCKET source code. We'll add documentation later.

(Unfortunately, not all CL platforms were full supported at current time, but we'll fix the missing part soon)

As usual, if you want to download this release, please check

	http://common-lisp.net/project/usocket/releases/

or just wait for next Quicklisp monthly dist updates.

The API documentation page was here (but I haven't updated it for SOCKET-OPTION yet ...):

	http://common-lisp.net/project/usocket/api-docs.shtml

As usual, any feedback - bugs or hugs - is greatly appreciated.

P. S. Something currently still in progress:

* New feature: CLISP support some advanced TCP features which CLISP's SOCKET interface not provide
* New feature: Macintosh Common Lisp (MCL) support Datagram sockets (UDP), based on OpenTransport.
* New feature: SOCKET-SHUTDOWN for TCP and UDP sockets.

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)
USOCKET Team