a question sbcl integration

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon Jan 27 15:52:47 UTC 2014

Quoting james anderson (james.anderson at setf.de):
> > Note, that it works other way around, from sb-gray to trivial-gray-streams:
> >
> > cl:file-position calls sb-gray:stream-file-position.
> > We define a method for it on our stream class;
> > and this method calls trivial-gray-streams:stream-file-position.
>
> i would understand this to require that, in order to have a complete
> interface, the application is supposed to use some symbols from
> sb-gray and some from trivial-gray-streams.
> is that the intent?

The idea is that if given a stream of an arbitrary class, its position
can be queried or set using cl:file-position, and when implementing a
stream, the mixin allows the author to merely specialize
tgs:stream-file-position and (setf tgs:stream-file-position) on that
class.

Neither user nor stream implementor should have to be aware of the call
site in sb-gray.

This trivial-gray-streams way of doing things never felt absolutely ideal
and clean to me, but was the best compromise I could come up with.

d.