[toronto-lisp] plans for Lisp in 2011

Vish Singh vishvajitsingh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 05:31:15 UTC 2011

Happy new year. I've started thinking about Lisp projects I could work
on this year, since I feel like I didn't do enough real Lisp hacking
in 2010.

I'd like to write a distributed backup system in Clojure. It's a
simple idea: create a distributed filesystem using the free hard drive
space in people's PCs. If you backup 100GB of data, it will be
replicated in two other places within this "cloud", but you must
contribute 200GB of your free hard drive space to the cloud in return.
Hence you get geographic redundancy for your backups while providing
space for other people's backups. I believe that this system could be
created entirely as a P2P app, without needing any centralized
component. The slightly tricky part is to ensure fairness; i.e. that
people give roughly as much as they receive.

I'd like to write this in Clojure as I like the language, and being on
the JVM makes it easy for the client app to run on Windows, Mac, and
Linux. This project "scratches my own itch", as I've always disliked
setting up and maintaining backups in multiple locations for my own
data. People have thought of similar ideas before, for example:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/18-842-nwalia/ ... but I don't see
that any such service has become popular.

What would folks like to use Lisp for in 2011?