[toronto-lisp] Meeting Feb. 1
vishvajitsingh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 05:24:41 UTC 2011
- Dave Cooper was able to attend via Skype
- NYC Lisp meeting is apparently broadcast live (speculation)
- much growth in NYC Lisp community
- Google Apps for Domains, provides many interesting apps including
- cloud computing platforms: Amazon cloud vs competitors
* in what subtle ways are you locked in to the Amazon cloud if you use it?
* Heroku recently purchased by Salesforce
- good solutions for Lisp hosting?
* Clojure + Google App Engine is one interesting possibility; gives
you scaling for free
* could host it yourself on Linode or EC2 instances
- using Clojure, NoSQL, and JS to write HTML5 apps:
- WuWei: http://wuwei.name/
* Common Lisp web framework
* fairly new (just a couple of months old)
- Parenscript: http://common-lisp.net/project/parenscript/
miss something important that way?
- Vish complains that he's sick of object-oriented programming and
- Paul compares OO to epicycles in astronomy, describes his history
with Eiffel, a fully OO language. project was cancelled, backup tapes
incinerated to prevent reincarnation
- Steve Yegge's opinion:
- discussion of Logo, a Lisp-like language used mainly for teaching purposes
- Ian described history of Logo Computer Systems (http://www.microworlds.com/)
- they made Logo implementations for Apple II, IBM, etc.
- developed custom assemblers on Lisp machines targeted at various architectures
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Vish Singh <vishvajitsingh at gmail.com> wrote:
> And by 2010 I of course meant 2011. Never could get the hang of Mondays..
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Vish Singh <vishvajitsingh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's great. My iPhone could serve as a Skype backup, though it'd be small.
>> Please join us tomorrow for the second Toronto Lisp meeting of 2010.
>> Tuesday February 1, 2011 -- 6pm -- Linuxcaffe (directions available on
>> See you there.
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Paul Tarvydas
>> <tarvydas at visualframeworksinc.com> wrote:
>>> Dave Cooper, from Michigan, will be joining us again for the TOLUG meeting Tues. Feb. 1. He's going to skype in. I'm bringing my laughtop (windows, with video skype). If someone were to bring a backup, that would be good, too.
>>> toronto-lisp mailing list
>>> toronto-lisp at common-lisp.net
More information about the toronto-lisp