[toronto-lisp] Fwd: Development helpers

Justin Giancola justin.giancola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:27:09 UTC 2010

The short answer is that by default a standard Common Lisp REPL does
not preserve either a textual or sexp representation of function/macro
definitions you enter. A long time ago I remember reading about a hack
whereby someone had hooked into defun so as to store the original
definition in some property (maybe 'source-code or some such). That
way after calling

(defun foo () ... ) ; => FOO

you could later do

(get 'foo 'source-code) ; => (defun FOO () ... )

But having said that, these sorts of tricks are not very common.
Developers typically compose code in files or scratch buffers and lean
on their editors/IDEs to keep track of definitions.

Justin