[toronto-lisp] Potential new user/dev group for free/open source software

David Penton djp at arqux.com
Sun Dec 26 22:54:55 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-25, at 4:16 PM, Rudolf Olah wrote:

> I don't know how people feel about free/open source software here, but
> I've been kinda wanting to start a new group that promotes and
> encourages the use of free/open source software in Toronto and the GTA
> and in the rest of Ontario.
>
> In terms of Lisp, I guess this would mean discussing the perils and
> pitfalls of using certain open source licenses for Lisp code or Lisp
> implementations, and maybe discussing which free software
> implementations or open source modules are the best to use, and maybe
> how it impacts business. I think that's one of the larger issues;
> building a business on free software (I know a few Toronto Lisp people
> were involved in startups and larger enterprises).
>
> So what would you guys think about this? Does anyone here like talking
> about free/open source software? :P
>
> --
> Rudolf Olah <omouse at gmail.com>

I am interested in this topic. I have never really understood all of the issues. While I have read statements of an ideological nature about FOSS, I do not know anything about the theory of business models in relation to FOSS.

Are you thinking of forming a separate group? Or were you proposing to use the Toronto Lisp group as a springboard somehow?

- Dave -