[toronto-lisp] Meeting tomorrow, 6pm, Linuxcaffe

Vish Singh vishvajitsingh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 04:20:07 UTC 2010

December meeting minutes.

attendees: Leo, Paul, Vish, Bryce, Andre, Reggie

some topics:
- Dynamic Languages debate next week at GTALUG meeting
 * I will represent Lisp, Andre is representing Erlang
- MIT 6.001 course: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
- SHRDLU symbolic AI program
- AI winter
- CMUCL vs SBCL
- Clojure persistent data structures
- differences between Common Lisp and Scheme, philosophies
- Google AI challenge, Lisp winner
- SBCL windows port, reasonably usable
- Rich Hickey's talks, infoq.com
- how to teach programming to children
 * have them build a processor on their own
 * use Javascript, Ruby
 * use Land of Lisp
- paradox: too much choice leads to frustration
 * a barrier to Lisp adoption? too many ways to solve problems:
imperative, functional, OO, create a DSL
 * precise definition of a DSL, what does it mean in practice?
- QuickLisp: a revolution over ASDF

Paul suggested that next month's meeting should be focused on Clojure.
Would anyone like to present something Clojure-related?

(To Paul: the email I sent you has the subject line "Re: Learning
material for state machines, and other VF concepts" and referenced the
paper "Crash-Only Software". Please check if you received it or if it
disappeared again, thanks.)

Vish