[toronto-lisp] Definition of "System"

David Penton djp at arqux.com
Sat Sep 26 15:24:03 UTC 2009

Here comes my first stranger-in-a-stange-land question.

I am busy learning to use asdf. The asdf manual refers to defining
"systems." It is not clear to me whether the term "system" has a
formal definition in lisp, or rather is used loosely. I see that the
CL ansi spec has a chapter (ch. 24) on System Construction, but this
does not elucidate much (for me).

For asdf purposes, does "system" mean something specific, or does it
just mean a bunch of lisp bits that make up a useful chunk of software?