[toronto-lisp] SGML, Scheme and a historical anecdote

Vishvajit Singh vishvajitsingh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:18:27 UTC 2009

I find that this topic is one upon which people often have strong
opinions. I don't wish to fan the fires of this debate, but I have one
small thing to say.

>The Web would have been more successful if another structure had been
used.

I'm not sure about that. Even now, I sometimes use a text editor to
edit my HTML files. Imagine if I wanted to italicize a single word in
a large document. In HTML I simply wrap that text with <i>. But if
HTML had used an S-exp syntax, I would have to perform the following
operation:

Starting with: (html (body "........large block of text..........."))

Split it into: (html (body "........block1......."
"word-to-be-italicized" "......block2......"))

Wrap it with the i tag: (html (body "........block1......." (i
"word-to-be-italicized") "......block2......"))

It would be difficult to perform this operation while keeping the
document somewhat comprehensible, whereas in HTML the <i> is quite
unobtrusive to the eye.

Perhaps in these modern times I shouldn't still be using a text editor
for this. At the very least I should use some sort of structure
editor, or some Emacs macros. But imagine how this issue would have
slowed the adoption of the early Web.

I'm making a historical point only. That markup languages won in this
particular domain at this particular point in history doesn't mean
they're actually a good solution to other problems. But I think it's
worth understanding why they won.

Vish