[toronto-lisp] SGML, Scheme and a historical anecdote

David Penton djp at arqux.com
Fri Oct 9 03:16:18 UTC 2009

BTW, I take it that top-posting is the style here. If not, let me know.

I am interested in this topic because I intend to try to implement
some xml functionality in Lisp as a first major learning project.
Although there is some open source  stuff around to handle xml in
Lisp, it appears not to implement anything but older xml standards.

As to xml versus sexps...I just don't think that one size fits all. I
am really enjoying the ultra-simple syntax of Lisp. But when it comes
to creating structured documents for stuff that I have worked on in
the past, xml has a lot going for it.

Markup (sgml, xml etc.) seems to have come from a different place
historically than sexps. (I may be wrong, this is not something I have
researched in any depth.)

The people who invented sgml did not use their own sgml technology for
e.g. sgml schemas (which were DTDs: an Extended Backus-Naur form, that
I never loved) or stylesheet/transforms (which as I mentioned used a
subset of Scheme.)

Things changed a bit with xml. It's pretty good for document markup
(what Michael Kay calls "narrative xml") and machine-readable data
representation. But I think the use of it for xml transforms (XSLT)
and schemas (XML SCHEMA) was a bad move. I hate the warty, verbose
syntax compared to e.g. Lisp.

Apparently I am not alone in my belief that xml-based programming
languages are not a great idea. XSLT must embed XPath, which has a
totally non-xml syntax, as does XQuery - in the latter case maybe
because the SQL crowd would not tolerate xml syntax. Another example -
the guy who did the main DSSSL implementation (James Clark) invented
an alternative to XML SCHEMA that offers a non-xml schema language as
an alternative.

People made a big deal of the fact that XSLT can transform XSLT
because it is xml. I guess it is a much better alternative than e.g.
altering XSLT with perl or something. However, in my (early non-expert
opinion( there is no comparison between XSLT transforming XSLT and the
capability for Lisp to fiddle with itself.

Having said that I have put some time into becoming proficient with
XSLT despite its yucky syntax.