[toronto-lisp] April meeting minutes available on the website

Vishvajit Singh vishvajitsingh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:38:44 UTC 2009

I see.. I'm starting to grok your point of view now.

It would be acceptable to have each ant be its own process in a
language like Erlang which has lightweight processes. You can write
programs in Erlang with thousands of processes and it doesn't skip a
beat..

But to have each ant be its own OS thread would be very - even
unreasonably - heavy.

(SIDE NOTE
    Is that actually what's going on in the Ants simulation? Clojure
agents are something I haven't yet studied. I actually think agents
run on a thread pool which has a number of threads equal to the number
of processors. See this 2007 thread on "Erlang vs Clojure":

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/2a2b24ffef5d1631/?pli=1

   It might be that what they refer to as "actors" in this thread are
presently being called "agents". Rich Hickey says:

"Well, they are bigger than 4 bytes each, having a per-actor linked-
queue for pending messages (there are some delivery order semantics)
and some flags, but pretty small overall, with nothing heavyweight
(e.g. threads) per actor. I've had millions of (idle) actors loaded
with no CPU overhead."

   So we might be criticising Clojure incorrectly here.
)

I've had Rich Hickey's talk on Clojure concurrency
(http://clojure.blip.tv/file/812787/) queued up to watch for a while
now. When I watch it I'll be looking especially for him to address
these sort of concerns. In any case, this discussion has primed my
mind to understand his talk better.

Thanks,
Vish