Persistent sessions

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Fri Feb 14 18:48:21 UTC 2014

On Feb 14, 2014, at 10:30 AM, peter <p2.edoc at gmail.com> wrote:

> as the session start time is encoded inside the cookie

No, it isn't.  The session start time is used as a source of entropy to help make the session cookie secure.  But the session cookie is an MD5 hash, and so you can’t get any information out of it.

> i suspect that you are using your model where you make the session-DB
> itself (the alist) persistent.

Yes.  Of course.

> i am not allowed to do this

Then you need to change the way that HT generates cookies so that they contain all the information you need in a way that allows you to extract it.  Right now they don’t.

(I’m a little surprised that you’re not allowed to do this.  I have a hard time imagining how you could write a useful application without being allowed to write to non-volatile storage.)

rg