[hunchentoot-devel] Encoding problem

Nicolas Neuss neuss at kit.edu
Thu Oct 7 11:35:38 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am trying to make Shibboleth authentification work for an application
of mine.  For this I am using the Apache2 Shibboleth module (my server
sits behind Apache).  Everything works fine, but for one thing.  The
authentification data is passed in the headers section in UTF-8 format
(probably).

What I receive using (CDR (ASSOC :SN (HEADERS-IN*))) in my server is
wrong, namely my lastname which is correctly spelled "Neuß" (a German
sharp-s) is read as "Neuß" which looks as if UTF-8 is read as LATIN-1.

I don't quite know how this arises.  I have

SB-IMPL::*DEFAULT-EXTERNAL-FORMAT* = :UTF-8

HUNCHENTOOT:*HUNCHENTOOT-DEFAULT-EXTERNAL-FORMAT* =
  #<FLEXI-STREAMS::FLEXI-UTF-8-FORMAT (:UTF-8 :EOL-STYLE :LF) {B1595E9}>

Can anyone give me a hint what I could try?

Thank you,
Nicolas

P.S.: I am using Hunchentoot-1.1.0/SBCL 1.0.18 on this machine.