[hunchentoot-devel] How to properly write directly to output stream?

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Tue Mar 30 21:39:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:53:04 +0200, Vsevolod Dyomkin <vseloved at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a new web-application, based on Hunchentoot 1.1, my previous
> ones were based on pre-1.0 version.  Since there was a switch to
> binary-streams, the following approach to HTML generation directly to the
> input stream from CL-WHO, which I'd used previously had to be modified from
>
> (let ((out (send-headers)))
>    (with-html-output (*who-stream* out)
>       ;; ...

> (let ((out (flex:make-flexi-stream (send-headers)
>                          :external-format
> *hunchentoot-default-external-format*
>                          :element-type 'character)))
>    (with-html-output (*who-stream* out)
>       ;; ...
>
> Still it doesn't perform the same as before, because, as far as I
> understand, of the new handling of chunking. It seems to me, that the chunk
> size is set to 8K in Chunga and in my case that's very inconvenient: I'd
> like to serve the page in many small portions, as the time of their
> "arrival" is quite unpredictable.
>
> That is why I've tried to turn off chunking or set lower chunk sizes (1K,
> for example) via both the public API (acceptor-output-chunking-p) and by
> manipulating the Hunchentoot internals, but failed to achieve anything.
> Either only the headers are sent and the connection is closed, or I need to
> wait until the handler returns.

Do you look for HUNCHENTOOT:SEND-HEADERS, per chance?

[Function]
send-headers => stream

    Sends the initial status line and all headers as determined by the
    REPLY object *REPLY*. Returns a binary stream to which the body of
    the reply can be written. Once this function has been called,
    further changes to *REPLY* don't have any effect. Also, automatic
    handling of errors (i.e. sending the corresponding status code to
    the browser, etc.) is turned off for this request and functions like
    REDIRECT or to ABORT-REQUEST-HANDLER won't have the desired effect
    once the headers are sent.

    If your handlers return the full body as a string or as an array of
    octets, you should not call this function. If a handler calls
    SEND-HEADERS , its return value is ignored.