[hunchentoot-devel] Trivial patch for potential XSS bugs

J.P. Larocque jpl at thoughtcrime.us
Thu Mar 25 02:37:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

There are a few places where Hunchentoot generates HTML which directly
include some strings, but the strings are plain-text and not HTML.  In
some cases you can see that the string can never coincidentally
contain HTML or user-supplied input, so that's fine--I haven't touched
these.  In other cases, the string is determined from user input (at
the HTTP level), so there's a danger of XSS attacks at these points.

The chance of a successful attack which exploits these flaws is
probably low.  In any case, I think Hunchentoot should always
correctly encode these user-supplied strings as HTML, since the
strings are treated as plain-text and are not already formatted as
HTML.

A patch is attached.  The changes are minimal and should speak for
themselves.

Thanks,

--
J.P. Larocque <jpl at thoughtcrime.us>