[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot on PORT 80

Bill St. Clair billstclair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 10:16:53 UTC 2009

Ports below 1024 are reserved for root. You can use one by starting
your process as root, listening on the port (starting Hunchentoot),
and then using (setuid UID) and (setgid GID) to set the user and group
ID to a non-root (you'll have to define SETUID and GETUID with a
foreign function package, and you can find the UID and GID for a login
in /etc/passwd). Or you could run your process as root, but that tends
to be dangerous.

Most people use a reverse proxy instead. Apache supports that, via
mod_proxy. Squid has a reverse proxy. And there's Pound, amongst
others. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_proxy

-Bill