[hunchentoot-devel] CCL/OpenMCL and WITH-TIMEOUT

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Mon Feb 18 09:39:40 UTC 2008

With the upcoming 1.2 release of CCL (formerly called OpenMCL), the
old implementation of TIMER-REQUEST is no longer available.
Hunchentoot relies on this in its WITH-TIMEOUT implementation which is
(only) called from FORCE-OUTPUT*.  As asynchronous timeouts are
generally unsafe, I would like to get rid of WITH-TIMEOUT altogether.
Instead, I think it would be better to only use the underlying
streams' mechanisms for timeouts, if available.  CCL 1.2 will have
stream timeouts, LW already has them and the other Lisp
implementations will propably support some form of timeouts in I/O
sooner or later.

Does anyone here have sentiments regarding WITH-TIMEOUT?  If not, I'd
propose that WITH-TIMEOUT be totally removed from Hunchentoot.

-Hans