[hunchentoot-devel] Managing Deployment of Lisp Web Apps?

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Thu May 10 11:28:57 UTC 2007

Scribit Micheal Fria dies 08/05/2007 hora 21:12:
> I'm relatively new to the whole paradigm of having a constantly
> running core image

You'll find that paradigm definitely interesting. As I'm fairly new to
it myself, I couldn't conclude that it's better in any way, except that
I like it more than the other ones, and that it seems to me it opens the
door to much more scenarios (notably in terms of security and access
control, as you have total control on the environment and permissions of
the Lisp image).

> so this question may come of as a little dumb. So please forgive me if
> I do.

A new paradigm opens up new questions...

> I was wondering what is the generally accepted best method of
> deployment for hunchentoot websites? (ie. how would one go about
> moving it from staging/testing server to the live/primary server?)

I didn't see any best practice published by anyone, but I suspect that
many of us manage the code under a revision control and use that to move
the source code of a stable revision to the production system.

As far as running the image is concerned, I also suspect many of us run
it in some detachable tty. I use screen because I also use it locally to
keep a dozen of terminals open, some prefer more lightweight solutions
like detachtty.

> But there's got to be a better way! I'm running into problems where
> I'm forgetting to update a function.

I usually have a startup Lisp file or/along with a shell script that
loads the ASDF system and starts the server. To be sure my hot updates
of code didn't introduce any bootstrap issues, I can just restart the
server with that (or do it in parallel, to keep the image running).

Personaly,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A