[hunchentoot-devel] resurrect tbnl's debug-value macro?

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Fri May 4 02:16:37 UTC 2007

Scribit Mac Chan dies 03/05/2007 hora 10:46:
> >Just do it yourself, with a handler "leaking" the objects you want to
> >inspect [...]
> No this won't solve the issue that I brought up.

You're right. I thought about it and the solution seemed too simple for
me not to try and code it cleanly. I've published the code under MIT
license here (that's a Mercurial repository):

http://arcanes.fr.eu.org/~pierre/2007/05/cl-leak/

Having an ASDF file is overkill, but at some point I thought I'd need
once-only from cl-utilities...

Basically, you'd use leak-variables as needed in a handler, and it would
store variables along with their names, so you can bind them to use them
later with with-leaked-variables:

(define-leak-variable *leak*)

(defun handler-to-debug ()
  (leak-variables *leak* *request* *reply* *session*)
  (do-some-hairy-stuff))

Then you trigger it from your browser, and you have an association list
in *leak* that you can use to bind the variables leaked:

(with-leaked-variables *leak*
  (handler-to-debug))

In a production environment, you could use leak-variables-once.

> But yeah there are other ways to do it. I just bring this up to see if
> this is something that other hunchentoot users would want to have
> built-in.

What bothers me in *debug-mode* is that even when you don't use it, it
might slightly slow down the server.

Quickly,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org